Eric Mann • Channing Martinez • Sharon Kyle • Dick Price • Brigette Amaya
Saturday, 12 October 2019, 1 p.m.
This workshop is based on two clear political assumptions
- We need a broad united front to defeat Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election
- We need an independent social movement to the left of and independent of the Democratic Party to put forth a clear anti-racist, anti-imperialist, climate justice program to pressure the candidates and strengthen our own movement.
The California Democratic Primary will be held on March 3, 2020. The fight over which Democrat to support and who will be the best candidate to defeat Donald Trump is a legitimate debate. Many of us believe that Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are the most progressive candidates, but this is NOT the subject of this panel.
The challenge is WHO ARE WE and WHAT DO WE STAND FOR.
We do not really control who the Democrats will nominate. But how do we play a role in bringing demands on the candidates in the primaries and fighting on so many issues neither party is fighting for? For example, how can we demand progress on issues like these:
- Stop the US wars against Russia and China—Stop the US war against the world
- Reparations for Black People for the continuing crimes of the transatlantic slave trade today
- Immediate hiring of Black People for 50% of all public and private sector jobs now!
- U.S. out of Venezuela, Afghanistan, Iraq and the World
- Stop all US. aid to Israel, stop the Israeli blockade of Gaza; support the Palestinian resistance; Support Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions
- Shut down all 800 U.S. military bases and 1,719 state prisons, 102 federal prisons, 942 juvenile correctional facilities, 3,283 local jails, and 79 Indian Country jails as well as in military prisons, immigration detention facilities, civil commitment centers.
- Free the U.S. 2.3 million prisoners
- U.S. must cut all greenhouse gas emissions by 50% of 1990 levels by 2025
- Free public transportation and no cars in L.A.
- Free, safe, and legal abortions for all women
- Full rights, sovereignty and reparations for all Indigenous peoples
- Open borders for all immigrants now
Channing Martinez will give one example of an independent, anti-racist, anti-imperialist, climate justice campaign in Los Angeles in the 10th City Council District on March 3, 2020.
The panelists will address how can we bring an independent political program into the elections and whether Trump or the Democrats are elected, what is our own long-term plan for influence and power?
Eric Mann, panel chair, host, KPFK Voices from the Frontlines and panel chair, author, Playbook for Progressives: The 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer
Channing Martinez, producer of Voices and candidate for the 10th City Council District in L.A.
Sharon Kyle, Publisher, L.A. Progressive, co-chair Left Coast Forum
Dick Price, Editor, L.A. Progressive, co-chair Left Coast Forum
Brigette Amaya, Lead Organizer Labor Community Strategy Center in L.A. high schools